12.06.2010

Home For The Holidays ...

Good evening, friends!  It's a chilly, windy evening here in Tampa, and as I snuggled up on the couch today with Phoebe, both of us wearing T-shirts against the chill even though Mom had the heat on for us,
                       (sort of like this, except that we were wearing T-shirts today, not going naked!) ...

I reflected upon the fact that, as I wrote in my recent Story of Me post, it was almost exactly seven years ago when I joined my family, just in time for Thanksgiving.  And now that the Advent/Christmas season is upon us, and the weather has turned cold, I find myself even more thankful than usual to have found a home not just for the holidays, but forever.

Because there are so many other wonderful dogs and cats who so deserve a loving home like Olivia, Tanner, Phoebe, Finn, and I have, but probably won't ever get one because there just aren't enough to go around.  Mom also says that the green papers are harder to come by these days, and that we must consider ourselves very fortunate.  We try to give as many green papers as we can to organizations that help needy animals find homes, but Mom says it would take way more green papers than we have to save them all, which makes her, and us, really sad.   

Then, every so often, she gets the urge to torture herself check the local shelters and see who is up for adoption.  Today she looked at the adoptables from The Humane Society of Tampa Bay .  And as usual, she found several little ones that she would love to give a home to. 

She particularly took a shine to Trouble, Fluffanutta, George, Clarice, Dash, Donovan, Malachi, Scarlet, Javier, Norman, and Marley, but about the only thing that stopped her from running down to the shelter this very afternoon and adopting Sox (a six year old male Chihuaha mix) was the fact that apparently he needs to be an only dog. 

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is that with all these great cats and dogs out there so badly needing homes, I feel especially glad that I found mine.  So this Christmas my wish is not for more toys or treats, but that allthe homeless cats and dogs out there get homes where they will be loved as much as I am.  And if you know anyone who IS looking to bring a dog or cat into their home, please tell them to check their local shelter first.  The companion of their dreams might just be there waiting for them!

Happy Holidays!

6 comments:

The Daily Pip said...

Very well said! I am happy you found a wonderful home too!

Your pal, Pip

P.S: You think it is cold in Tampa, you should feel how cold it is up here in Chicago - FREEZING! I may stay inside until spring.

houndstooth said...

We couldn't agree with you more, Tucker! If only we all could find the perfect home.

Bunny

Two Pitties in the City said...

It is so lucky that you found such a great family; I think you and your blog are a good example of showing how amazing adopted animals can be.

Elaine Pritchard said...

Thank you for posting those wise words......

Your Mom has done so much good stuff already and she's helping let people know what great lifetime companions can be found in shelters.

I wish everyone could have a nice warm home for Christmas too.

Old Kitty said...

Awww beautiful Tucker!! What a lovely and sweet and thoughtful post!!! Me and Charlie wish that all kitties and doggies and all other creatures in animal shelters find forever homes too!

Hello Phoebe!!!

take care
x

Cat and DOG Chat With Caren said...

thank you for such a sensitive and caring post Tucker!

I wish all the animals without homes would find furever homes too!

Happy Holidays!