10.17.2011

2012 will be here before we know it ...

And what better way to start off the New Year than with a brand new calendar?

Happy Monday, everyone!  MP here!  You know, as a kid, I was one of those nerdy types who, pretty much all the way up through high school, couldn't wait for the first day of school.  Don't get me wrong, like every other kid I bemoaned the loss of my summer freedom, long days that seemed almost endless because the sun didn't set  until 8pm.  New school supplies (and new school clothes) were the trade-off.  I frankly reveled in shopping for school supplies as a kid.  Freshly sharpened number two pencils tucked snugly inside a new pencil case, brightly-colored folders inside a new Trapper Keeper (do they even have those anymore?) had the power to delight me.

As did the concept of a fresh start.  Ah, how we all love those.  And as a kid you got two ... one at New Year's like everyone else, and one on the first day of school.  (Three, really, counting your birthday, which, as we get older, we tend to stop celebrating with quite as much unadulterated joy.)  As an adult, however, the opportunity for those "fresh starts" really comes only once a year.  So as a result, I now look forward to the choosing of the next year's calendar in the same way I used to look forward to the selection of my school supplies as a child.  

And yes, I know that there is a calendar on my phone, and one on my computer, and yes, I do use them, but I also like a traditional desk calendar for my office, and an "old fashioned" calendar at home.  What can I tell you ... I like to look at pretty pictures.  So sue me!  

I mentioned last week that a friend's dog is the cover dog for a calendar featuring rescued pit bulls, so obviously that will be my calendar of choice this year.  But if that were not the case, I would have a really hard time choosing between these two calendars:

Photo credit: The Unexpected Pit Bull


and this one:



Photo credit:  Shreve Stockton / The Daily Coyote
So tell me ... am I the only one who gets excited about this kind of stuff? 




14 comments:

Kolchak Puggle said...

At the risk of sounding like a total geek, I will admit that I lament my lack of need for new supplies every single year. LOL, in fact this year my desire to buy school supplies was so great I bought several binders and created. Household manual, an inspiration book for Kol's Notes post idea and bought myself new pencil crayons...I'm so not ready to be a grown up!

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

Oh we all get excited about the new calendar for the following year...Why you ask. Because every single year Mom makes our new calendar herself.....with photos of us that were taken during the year. And if any of us left for Rainbow Bridge during the previous year, their photo is on the cover and on January as a rememberance. Year 2012 will have our Tucker and Reno on the cover and January.

Old Kitty said...

I love shopping for stationery and must have at least 3 paper calendars dotted around my home! So good for you!

These are gorgeous calendars!!

Take care
x

Tucker The Crestie said...

Thanks for making me feel a little bit less of a total nerd, guys! I appreciate it! Amber, that's a great idea to make your own calendar ... maybe I'll try that next year!

Kirsten (peacefuldog) said...

I love school supplies too :)...and will be looking forward to a fine crop of calendars next year. Word has it that two of my beasties will be in a Pit Bull Frogs calendar--for hilarious shots check out http://pitbullfrogs.blogspot.com/p/pit-bull-frog-photos.html

Julie Flanders said...

You're not the only one, I LOVE calendars! I actually get excited filling out a new one each year, one of my New Year's Day rituals! These both look great, I am going to check them both out. :)

CATachresis said...

I used to love getting school supplies, but sadly, hated school! Go figure!

I only use e-calendars nowadays. I think we've lost something for sure.

tubby3pug said...

We love new calendars too! The pitbull pic is so gorgeous. We have made our own caledars using pics on shutterfly. This year I think I will go with a harry potter calendar though, and one from our local animal shelter (I like trapper keepers too, and I don't know if they exist any more, I never see them)

Kate said...

I love calendars! I never buy them for myself because I can never choose just one, but someone always ends up giving me one :)

Sagira said...

Your not alone, I love office supplies, pens, calendars... this one is very nice looking by the way :)

Gigi said...

Well, cough, ahem, uh....I do not see a single KITTY anywhere on either of those things.

P.S. But YAY! I *can* see pictures again! Even if I disapprove.

The Daily Pip said...

I am super excited about The Daily Coyote calendar. I love the pictures of Charlie!

Your pal, Pip

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

I've always got to have 2 'big' calendars in my house and I'm really excited as one of my photos of Beryl is going to be in the 2012 calendar put out by our Greyhound adoption group:) Last year I had one of my photos of another Greyhound in it and a photo a friend took of Beryl made it ... so I bought 5 calendars and gave 4 of them away:)

I also love pens and pencils and the like. I even enjoy grocery shopping!

Bocci said...

No, you are not alone! I take my choices of my three traditional yearly calendars very seriously! We're with ya!