11.02.2011

On this Wednesday the MP is WONDERING ...


But have you ever seen a Bulldog on a coffee table? 


Well, you have now! 

THIS ... 


is Bella ... 


my aunt & uncle's 13 month old English Bulldog ...


who happens to have an extremely serious (and seriously cute) pout when she doesn't get what she wants (whatever that happens to be at any given moment).  

You may be wondering ... "and why exactly is it that she is lying on the coffee table?"  As well, I would agree, you might.  And the answer is ... because she wants to.  And although it's not personally something I would enjoy (for one thing my coffee table is glass and the mere thought of cleaning all that Bulldog drool off of it is enough to make me want to rush out and buy tremendous shares of stock in Windex, even were it safe or desirable to allow a fifty-five pound dog to recline thereon, which of course it is not), the simple fact of life at Casa Bella is that what Bella wants, Bella gets.  With very few exceptions.  In fact, just at this moment, I can't think of even one.  

Now, although you have no way of knowing this, Bella is not the first Bulldog I've been intimately acquainted with.  Growing up, my grandparents had a succession of them throughout my entire childhood, adolescence, and early adulthood.  So I'm very familiar with their stellar temperaments, their quirky personalities, and their trademark stubbornness.  Although, I must say, those Bulldogs of my younger days were rather well behaved.  They walked nicely on lead, and had excellent house manners. They even did tricks. Bella does none of these things.  It isn't that she's not smart, something that is often said of Bulldogs.  She's plenty smart, and in fact she's a whiz at clicker training, being, as she is, highly motivated by treats.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say that Bella's intelligence is nigh to genius level.  How else can you explain coercing two otherwise intelligent, rational individuals into letting you sleep on the coffee table? 

Disclaimer:  Bella is actually a great dog, if a bit quirky (to put it mildly).  She is inexhaustibly sweet and loving, is wonderful with children, and wherever she goes people fall in love with her, myself included.  As to the coffee table thing, I am at a loss.  I guess it's a good thing for Bella that she doesn't live at my house.  The rules are a little LOT different, and I'm not at all sure she would appreciate that.  



23 comments:

Julie Flanders said...

Bella is a cutie!! I have to laugh about the coffee table. I can relate, as in my house, what Clancy wants, he gets, too. My nephew has a little bulldog and Bella looks so much like his dog. Just adorable! :)

snoopy@snoopysdogblog said...

Bella is sooo cute!!!

She must be really smart to have her family trained already!! Impressed she's allowed ON the coffee table - I just get to play UNDER our coffee table, it's got a glass top and it's fun to pretend it's a Den :)

Have a fun day,

Your pal Snoopy :)

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

BWHahahaha....Like you said...what Bella wants, Bella gets! That's why we love it when Daddy comes home from work. The pack gets whatever they want from Daddy.

PeeS....My human sissy, Shelly, has an English Bulldog named Zoey and she is spoiled rotton too. Glad Zoey doesn't live at my house!

Two Pitties in the City said...

So cute, but so stubborn! I always remember that episode of the Dog Whisperer where the Bulldog was grabbing skateboards and the garden hose and wouldn't give it up. Though doesn't she look a bit Miss M-like? We think Miss M is part American Bulldog which would account for her stubbornness.

Golden Daily Scoop said...

So cute!!! Your lucky to be up on that table, the cat owns the table in our house! BOL!!

Your newest followers,
Miley and Maggie

Old Kitty said...

Awwww bella Bella is beautiful! What a sweetheart!!! I think she's found her favourite spot on that coffee table! yay!! Take care
x

Brenda said...

I'm with ya, I wouldn't want bulldog drool on my coffee table either, lol! But I've learned that rules are different at different houses, so whatever works for the family! Bella sure is cute. It would be hard to say "no" to that face!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Ha ha - that is too funny. As the song goes, Whatever "Bella" wants, "Bella" gets:)

She is cute. Who knows why we do what we do? Mom can never understand why Phantom is just skin and bones prefers to lie on the hardwood floor over a bed or the sofa.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Ivan from WMD said...

You know, if they came in cat toy size and didn't smell like dog but like nip, I'd want one for a pet!

Scrappy Angel said...

Bella seems to have it all figured out!

CATachresis said...

I reckon it's that pout what does it! How can you resist? lol

Gigi said...

Bella can come sleep on MY coffee table anytime she wants, says the HUMAN.

Yeah, me? Not so much. In fact, I'd like her to stay really far away, okay? She's big, and drooly, and worst of all, a WOOFIE.

houndstooth said...

Bella is adorable! I can't say any of ours would be drawn to the coffee table, though. They gravitate towards the soft places!

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

Bella is lovely, she reminds me of a friends bulldog, but he sure isn't allowed on the coffee table!

Remington said...

Bella is so cute she should be able to lay where ever she would like!

Kate said...

She is too adorable! She can come lay on my coffee table too! :)

tubby3pug said...

So ADORABLE bulldogs are definitely quirky and stubborn, and smart! You cant say no to those sweeter then sweet smush faces

bichonpawz said...

Bella is very cute!!! It would be our Daddy that taught us to lie on tables...we lounge on the table whenever DADDY lets us...mama has a tendency to kind of not hear our whining when we want to go on the table! xoxo Chloe and LadyBug

Two Pitties in the City said...

We sent an email to your Tucker address. Let us know if you are interested in T-shirts (what size) or raffle tix prizes for SuperLevi's fundraiser. If T-shirts we want to mail ASAP for you to get in time.
Thanks!

Bocci said...

Hey-coffeetables are nothin' really-I've been known to climb up on the kitchen island (by way of the chairs) in search of food...Parental Unit almost passed out when she saw me up there!

Inger said...

I saw that cute little face among the followers of Tracy's Moondance Ranch blog and had to check you out. And what do I get -- a different, but equally cute little or not so little bulldog face on a coffee table no less.

Sagira said...

Bella is adorable! :)

GreatGranny said...

And I thought only cats had a staff....mol I bet she is a sweet woofie.
xoxo Kassey