11.29.2011

Home for the holidays ...

As we are now fully into the holiday season, I find myself reflecting more than usual on the themes of home, family, and all the good times and shared experiences that bind people together, be they related by blood, by marriage, or even through the bonds of long and intimate friendships which often feel as strong as, or stronger than, any blood ties.  The faces I see in my head when I think of the word family include my parents, my sister to whom I'm extremely close, two favorite aunts and cousins, and a few friends with whom I've been laughing and sharing confidences for, in some cases, more than half my lifetime.  

Naturally, there are more than a few furry faces in my minds' eye as well, as there is no doubt that Tucker, Phoebe, Olivia, Tanner, and Finn, as well as other dogs and cats I've loved and lost over the years, are indisputably family to me.  As such, they obviously play a significant role in familial celebrations, which, for me, have even more significance because of the fact that all five of them ended up in a happy, secure home where they are deeply loved and cherished only by the grace of happenstance and random good fortune.  Given their less than auspicious beginnings, their lives could have been far different, and the fact that they all somehow ended up here  is nothing short of miraculous to me, a miracle which, I don't mind saying, has been at least as much to my benefit as theirs, if not more so, because I quite simply couldn't imagine my life without any of them, even while I know that I will someday not only have to imagine it, but live it.  

When my thoughts travel down this particular path, though, I can't help but be mindful of all the people out there who are bereft of family and friends during a time of year when not having the comfort and security of those long and intimate relationships must be particularly painful.  And of course, I also think about all the animals out there who don't have the luxury of lounging on comfy beds or snuggling on couches, who are lucky if they get anything at all to eat, let alone the nutritious (and hopefully delicious) foods I so carefully prepare for my fur monsters, who are in shelters facing the prospect of being euthanized at worst, or, at best, living out their lives in a cage.  I think about the dogs and cats who are roaming the streets with nowhere safe and warm to sleep, scavenging for scraps and garbage, or who are tied up to sheds or in yards or rusting mobile homes with nothing to drink but dirty, slimy water (that is, if the water hasn't frozen in the wintertime).  The scope of the horror, in all its myriad variations, is past imagining, really, and yet it is happening thousands of times over even as I write these words.  

So as the holiday season ramps up to full throttle, I can only be grateful, anew, at my own good fortune.  I have a wonderful family (human and canine/feline), a few close friends I know I can always count on, a secure and stable job, a home I enjoy coming home to, and all in all a pretty darn good and happy life, even with all the stresses and sometimes petty worries that seem to be an unavoidable part of the human condition.  And my heart, therefore, hurts for those who are not as fortunate.  There are a lot of lonely people in the world, as well as a lot of animals facing very uncertain futures.  Wouldn't it be great if some of them could find each other?  

I think about animals like Bruno, a lovely young Husky/Akita mix who is looking for HIS home, both for the holidays and forevermore.  I learned about Bruno on this blog , which is a site devoted to photographer Rachel Lauren's photography clients.  Rachel's blog is one of my very favorites, and one that I try to visit every day.  Her photos are stunning, so if you haven't checked her blog out in the past, you really ought to.  And in fact, she took a beautiful photo of Bruno, below. 

Photo Credit:  with kind permission of Rachel Lauren Photography
If you or someone you know is looking for a beautiful boy like Bruno, you can contact Rachel at rachellaurenphotography@gmail.com

Let's get this guy a home for the holidays, ok?  

And may all YOUR days this holiday season be merry and bright.



17 comments:

Kootenai's Summit Post said...

Heartfelt and true. It sounds like you are thinking about the things that matter. Good for you! Ruff!

Scrappy Angel said...

Well said.

Old Kitty said...

Amen to this post! And Bruno is beautiful! Take care
x

Admiral Hestorb said...

AMEN absolutely to this fine post and Bruno is extraordinary in appearance.

xox

CATachresis said...

A wonderful heartfelt post :) Amen from us too. Bruno and so many others, deserve a forever home x

tubby3pug said...

Very nice post

Karen Jo said...

What a wonderful post! You really are attuned to what is most important. Bruno is a very handsome dog and I hope he finds his forever home very soon.

houndstooth said...

I love your post today! Bruno is absolutely stunning, and he's going to make somebody very happy one day -- hopefully soon!

Ivan from WMD said...

:-)

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

What a beautiful post!!!

Bruno truly is gorgeous!!! We hope he finds a very special forever home soon.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Totally Timmy said...

A wonderful post. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts with us. I often think along these same lines but would never be able to articulate it as you did :)

Gigi said...

Amen! My Human tries to be grateful for all she has, but *I* think she complains a LOT. Sigh.

snoopy@snoopysdogblog said...

Couldn't agree more with your thoughts!! My family and I count our blessings every day - I've got my paws crossed that Bruno and all the others who are less fortunate than us also find happiness!

Puppy hugs to all,

Your pal Snoopy :)

Greyhounds CAN Sit said...

What a lovely post. It seems way too early to be thinking about Christmas yet though! But I share your sentiments.

I hope Bruno gets his forever people for Christmas. He looks gorgeous.

Elizabeth Keene said...

What a generous post. I, too, have so much to be thankful for.

Bruno is a stunning boy and is very fortunate to have folks like Rachel and you touting his good looks and personality for all to see. I hope his lucky new owner finds him soon!

Kate said...

Wonderful post. I hope Bruno finds his forever home soon, he's certainly a handsome dog!

Sagira said...

Bruno sure is cute and I hope he finds a great forever home of his own for the Holidays.