SO - thanks again to Tena, Shayne, and Rio from Success Just Clicks for gifting us with the Versatile Blogger award. We appreciate it very much.
According to the rules, we're supposed to list seven things about ourselves and then name fifteen blogs that are either new or new to us. And here goes ...
To be fair, I thought I'd list one factoid about myself, two about Tucker (because he's the star, after all!), and one each about Olivia, Tanner, Phoebe, and Finn.
1) ME: I am dominant left-handed (I write left-handed, hold a fork left-handed, etc.) but am for all intents and purposes ambidexterous. When I play softball I bat right handed, and in tennis I can hit a forehand with either hand, a fact that thrilled the heck out of my high school tennis coach.
2) TUCKER: Tucker was diagnosed with mild hypothyroidism last January (he had a full blood panel done at his yearly checkup and we found it that way). So now he has a holistic vet in addition to a Western med vet, and he takes thyroid medicine (Standard Process Canine Thyroid Support obtained by prescription from our holistic vet) twice daily and gets blood drawn every 90 days to check his levels. With the use of the supplement, his thyroid levels are now within normal ranges, even though on the lower side. I won't lie - I still worry about Tucker's health more than I used to, but if nothing else it has proved to me how critically important regular vet checks (including bloodwork) are in timely diagnosis of emerging conditions.
3) TUCKER: Tucker's favorite food is McDonald's french fries - unfortunately I'm a little bit of a food Nazi when it comes to my animals' diets (I watch them MUCH more closely than I do my own), so he doesn't get to indulge in his craving all that often.
4) OLIVIA: Olivia usually doesn't sleep in bed with me (she usually spends the night on the cat tree next to the dresser) but when it's cold out, she likes to sleep under the covers.
5) TANNER: There were four kittens in Tanner's litter. He was the only survivor.
6) PHOEBE: On the day I went to pick Phoebe up from her foster mom's house, we went out to lunch and she sat perfectly in her own chair and nibbled on grilled chicken breast. She was the perfect lunch date.
7) FINN: Finn has cut a path of destruction through the house since he arrived a little over a year ago. So far he's broken two lamps, my favorite picture frame, and countless other items, some of them more valuable than others. So far, though, he hasn't broken his neck, so I'm ok with it.
And now for the blogs ...
An Infertile Blonde - A blog written by one of my newest heroes ... Becky Fawcett ... who, along with her husband, has founded helpusadopt.org/ which gives grants to people who are pursuing the dream of building their families through adoption. This is heroic enough in and of itself, but unlike many other foundations that offer adoption grants, HelpUsAdopt.org does not discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or marital status. Becky rocks. It's just that simple. Her husband, K, is pretty awesome, too, and her son and daughter, known on the blog as The Boy and The Girl, are too adorable for words. And her dog, Bitzy Charlene, has a killer sense of style.
Cold Antler Farm - Written by a late-twenty-something web designer who is also a serious homesteader. I referenced her in my post on Friday. Another of my newly-discovered heroes. Read her blog and I guarantee you will be as amazed and inspired by her as I am. Trust me.
Herman's Hideaway - A charming and entertaining dialogue between the human, Karen Jo, and her two cats Herman and new arrival Emma. Please keep them in your thoughts over the next couple of days, because Karen Jo, Herman, and Emma have had to evacuate from their home due to a fire threatening their town of Los Alamos.
William Of Mass Destruction - Ok, this blog is neither new nor new to me - but who cares? I am bending the rules on this one. William, Caroline, Russell, and Company never fail to entertain me, and theirs is one of the first blogs I read every day.
Many Muddy Paws - Written by self-professed dog nut Amanda, who lives with five of the most gorgeous dogs you've ever seen: Corgis Wicca and Pixel, Border Collie/Corgi mix Vito, Pyrenean Shepherd Boone, and Border Collie Brit. I grew up with a Border Collie, and will always have a soft spot for them, and was I not so committed to rescue, a Pyr Shep might very well be my next dog. So Amanda's blog is sort of a drool fest for me.
Oscar the Pooch - Starring the ADORABLE Oscar, a miniature Schnauzer. He's just so darn cute he makes me smile just to look at him! Go see for yourself! Do I lie?
Walking off the Big Apple - A series of photo essays of one of my favorite homes-away-from-home - NYC. I've visited the Big Apple a number of times over the years, and I always feel something of a sense of homecoming when I return to it. Each visit is a combination of rediscovering past favorite haunts and discovering new ones. It's been over two years since I've last been back, so this blog helps me get my NYC fix. And the photographs are gorgeous!
Chronicles of Cardigan - The adventures of Jon Farleigh and Dewi - two adorable Cardigan Welsh Corgis. Stop by their blog, feast on their cuteness, and congratulate Dewi on becoming a Canine Good Citizen, won't you?
Norwood Unleashed - A striking dog with an owner who is an extremely talented photographer. It's a win-win.
The Chronicle of Woos - I never get tired of feasting my eyes on this trio of gorgeous Sibs. I'm a bit of a sucker for the Nordic breeds, (I did live with a Malamute mix for sixteen years after all), especially these three!
Spitty Speaks - Another "cheat" because Spitty is one of the first friends we made in Blogland, and therefore his blog is not new to us. But who cares? We think Spitty is awesome, and we defy anyone to disagree with us.
Sagira's Agility Adventures - Sagira is a gorgeous sheltie/husky mix who lives with her dog brothers Harley, Samick, and Bokeh, her dog sister, Starr, and four cat sisters. A BIG family! Sagira recently met a couple of Blogland celebrities. Can you guess who they are? Check the blog and find out!
Adventures of Admiral Hestorb - A blog about a brave little kitty giving hyperthyroidism a run for its money. Don't forget to visit and cheer her on!
Two Pitties in the City - Yet another cheat. So sue me. TPITC is another blog that is on my "must read" list. I never get tired of the adorable Miss M. and Mr. B., nor of their many adventures in the city of Chicago, a city I've never visited, yet somehow feel that I know very well thanks to their blog. I also admire their commitment to helping pit bulls in need find loving homes. Their most recent success story is Bella, who found her forever home just a few days ago. Yay, Bella!
Tales and Tails- The adventures of retired racing greyhounds Bunny, Lilac, and Blueberry, and German Shepherd Morgan. Four gorgeous dogs who get to go all sorts of fun and scenic places, due to their love of taking family hikes. Lucky for us, we get to go along with them, through their beautiful photographs.
Thanks again to Tena for the award, and thanks to all the blogs I'm passing it on to, for making me laugh, touching my heart, and giving me beautiful pictures to look at every day.