12.27.2011

The Miracle of a Second Chance

As 2011 comes to a close and we look forward to the New Year, I am, as I do every year about this time, beginning to think about my New Year's resolutions.  I have a list started, and some of the items on the list are pretty trivial in the scheme of things (clean out every closet in the house, learn how to make a really good risotto), and others that are not so trivial.  I won't share all of them with you here, but one very important one I actually already blogged about a few days before Christmas.  


And then on Christmas Day, I happened to have been made aware of a little dog named Scout who needed my help. 


Photo credit:  Heidi's Legacy
 I made a donation of course, and in the past, that would probably have been the end of it.  As I said in my previous post about Scout, asking for help is not something I'm very good at.  I'm more a go it alone type of girl.  But this help isn't for me, it's for Scout.  And the truth is, Scout needs more help than I am able to give right now.  Which is why I'm turning to all of you.  For a little over a year now I've been a part of this wonderful world of animal bloggers, and I've seen the miracles that can happen when a bunch of like-minded people get together.  I've been honored and humbled to play a small part in  some of the miracles that others of you have wrought, and now I'm asking for your help in making a miracle happen for Scout.  If you can make a donation (which I know some of you have already done, and I thank you!), that would be wonderful.  But if you can't, that's ok, too.  All I ask is that you put the word out on your own blogs and FB pages, so that maybe this message will reach someone who IS able to donate, since as of right now, Scout is still $491 away from her goal.


Scout has a wonderful foster family who is lovingly caring for her as she recuperates from a broken leg, a very painful injury which actually got her mistakenly labeled as a fear biter and unadoptable in the shelter she was in, and was nearly responsible for her never making it out of that shelter alive.  When I think about this it just tortures me.  Imagine being in such tremendous pain from an injury as serious as a broken leg, and having people not only not realize that you were injured and in pain, but also assign you a false label such as "fear biter" as a result.  

From all accounts, Scout is a bright, happy dog who, now that she is on the road to recovery, is enjoying socializing with other dogs and loves her foster mom.  With any luck, she will make a full recovery from this injury and go on to be adopted by a wonderful family who will love and cherish her, the way I do Tucker, and of course, Phoebe, who is herself an alumni of the very same rescue, Heidi's Legacy, that is currently fostering Scout.

Recently, I came across one of the photos of Phoebe that her foster mom sent me when we were working to finalize the adoption:


Adorable, right?  And check out that CURL!

And here are some of my favorite more recent photos of Phoebe.  (Notice the curl is still very much in evidence!)  


Phoebe back then was adorable no question.  But Phoebe now?  What a difference!  And the difference is that now, unlike when that first photo was taken when she was in her foster home, there is the confidence born of feeling loved and secure shining out of her eyes.  Not that Phoebe's foster mom didn't love her.  She loved her very much,  I know. But now, almost four years later, those frightening days in a large, overcrowded shelter are, I hope, all but forgotten.  Phoebe is very dearly loved, and she knows it.  She wakes up loved every day, and at night the last thing she hears before she falls asleep is my voice wishing her sweet dreams.  Through the efforts of Heidi's Legacy, she went from being "just another dog" in a high kill shelter facing a very uncertain future to a dog whose future, I hope, holds nothing but love and happiness, or at least it will if I have anything to say about it.  Every dog deserves a happy ending like the one that Phoebe, thanks to Heidi's Legacy, is living.  Unfortunately not all of them will get it.  But little Scout is already well on her way, and she just needs a little help from us to make her dreams of that rosy future a reality.

Meanwhile, Phoebe has dug all of her toy and treat money out from under the sofa cushions or wherever it is she's been hiding it, and has purchased some raffle items that she would like to give away to a random winner.  All you have to do to be entered to win is make a donation of at least $20 to Scout's ChipIn, leave a comment at the Chip In page mentioning Phoebe's name, and leave a comment here.  We'll announce the randomly drawn winner  here on January 2nd.

Item #1:  Interactive Toy Basket for Dogs, a $40 value
This basket contains two interactive toys (a Tug-A-Jug and a Twist N' Treat) and a bag of Zuke's Naturals treats, suitable for training or for use in either of the toys). 

Photo credit:  www.organicpetboutique.com


Item #2: Organic Dog Biscuit Cookbook Kit (with 3 cookie cutters), a $20 value 
 
Photo credit:  www.organicpetboutique.com

The winner will receive both of these items, not just one.  

NOTE:  Because Scout is a dog and not a cat, I chose dog appropriate raffle items.  However, if you want to help Scout but live with a cat or cats, know that it is not my intention to leave you out.  If you should make a donation and should win the drawing, you will receive a $60 gift certificate to Organic Pet Boutique and they do have many very nice cat-appropriate items for you to choose from, in which case, since Phoebe has already chosen and paid for these items, we will draw a second winner and award two prizes.  Sound fair?


P.S.  If you have ALREADY donated, all you need to do is comment and let me know so I can enter you into the drawing.

19 comments:

The Daily Pip said...

Hi - We made a small donation when we read your previous post - wish it could be more!

I will also add a note on my post tomorrow.

Your pal, Pip

Tucker The Crestie said...

Thanks, Pip! We appreciate it, just as we appreciate ALL that you and your family do to help dogs and other animals in need! You are officially entered in the drawing. Good luck, and again, thank you so much!

Admiral Hestorb said...

How preciuos and what a wonderful thing to do..of course you would as you are loving and good to your furbabies. xoxox
Mom Carole

haopee said...

I just want to applaud you for helping Scout find his forever home. I hope you succeed in such endeavor.

Huggies and Cheese,

Haopee

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

We are going to make a donation too, but we don't want you to put our name in the drawing. We just want to do something to help Scout. You are wonderful to be trying so hard to help him.

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, Ciara, and Lightning

Brian's Home Blog said...

We heard about Scout from Mr. Pip and we made a donation, well, my Dad did. No need to put us in the drawing though. Happy New Year to Scout!

Tucker The Crestie said...

Brian, you are most generous. Thank you so much!

Anonymous said...

I hope Scout gets the money needed to pay for her medical care and can find a forever home.

Val said...

Hi.I'm not able to donate,but can I do a post on my blog to direct some readers over to your blog to help?Blogger Kate

The Daily Pip said...

Don't get discouraged! It looks like the Chip in has gone up some. It's a tough time of year. You are such a nice friend for helping little Scout out.

Your pal, Pip

Dachshund Nola said...

I wish I could donate, but I will post about this
Dachshund Nola

houndstooth said...

We wish we had money to donate right now, but we did share the link on Facebook! Hopefully word will spread and she'll get the help she needs!

Bunny

Tucker The Crestie said...

To all of you who are helping to spread the word, thank you so much! It is greatly appreciated!

bichonpawz said...

We will share the link on Facebook for you too!! Sure hope that this all works out!!
xoxo Chloe and LadyBug

Tucker The Crestie said...

Thanks so much Chloe and Ladybug!

Gigi said...

We made a donation the other day (don't put me in the raffle though), and we checked back--looks like Scout is making slow-but-steady $$-progress on the chip-in. We hope this sweet doggy gets all the expenses covered soon! You are doing a verreh good thing here! XOXOXO

Tucker The Crestie said...

Thanks for the support, Spitty! It's appreciated!

Sagira said...

I am going to go leave a small donation, we can't afford the full $20 but want to do something to help out. It is so nice of you to do this for Scout. Those cookie cutters are adorable! We made bone shaped brownies for Sagira's party one year but never seen a hydrant or squirrel, how cute. :)

Tucker The Crestie said...

Thanks so much, Sagira!